The House - 3D artistic rendering of the main floor galleries and tower

The House - a glimpse at its present...

To play, press and hold the enter key. To stop, release the enter key.

press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom

The House - a glimpse from the past...

In the 1870s, local boosters boasted that more grain was shipped through St. Marys than through any other Canadian town save London and Toronto. At the helm of one of the most profitable grain dynasties was George Carter, whose success is demonstrated in no fewer than four of St. Marys' best houses, all on the same block just off the main street.

 

This grand home was a wedding gift given by Carter to his daughter Charlotte on the occasion of her marriage to Henry Lincoln Rice in 1881. From 1905 to the 1950s the Sparks family lived in the home. Dr. Thomas Sparks and his family named the home, “Ercildoune”, after the town in Scotland in which Dr. Sparks was born. Dr. Sparks also received distinction as a poet throughout his lifetime.

Dating back to the 1881 the house is an example of the Italianate style that was popular in late 19th century house building inspired by the Second Empire Movement. Most Italianate homes were two–storey brick structures, often surmounted with a mansard roof, which can be seen in this specific house. However, this house is different in the sense that it is a one-storey brick structure with a mansard addition. Most of the details are closer to the ground, which allows observers to look more closely at the intricate ornamentation. The house is quite grand in its appearance with its central tower, wrought iron widow’s walk and intricate fretwork around the veranda made from a combination of oak and gumwood from India.

 

The architect responsible for building the home was William Williams.

1/1

Archive photography courtesy of St Marys Museum, St Marys Ontario.